Custom Contact Labels
Organize your contacts in ways specific to your business with custom contact labels
AMI allows you to categorize your contacts with pre-set categories related to customers, teams, and hosts, but with custom contact labels, AMI gives you the freedom to tag your contacts with labels that make sense for you!
As a Starter user, you are able to create up to one custom contact labels that you can apply to as many contacts as you'd like. Upgrade to AMI Pro to create unlimited custom contact labels!
Adding a new custom contact label
- Navigate to the Contacts tab
- Search or browse for the contact you wish to label
- Select the given contact
- Tap either the + Add a Category button (if the contact has no previous categories or labels), or the + button (if the contact has existing categories and/or labels) below the contact's name
- You will be navigated to the Edit Categories screen for the given contact
- On this screen, you can select one option from each of the category groups: customer-related categories, team-related categories, and host-relates categories. Below Other, you'll see the option to Add a custom label
- Decide what you'd like to call this custom label. Note that all custom labels must be fewer than 20 characters
- Tap on Add a custom label and type in your desired custom label name, then tap the + button to add it
- Your contact will now be tagged with your newly created label. Feel free to repeat to add more new custom labels to this contact.
Adding an existing custom label
- If you'd like to tag a contact with a custom label you've already created, follow the directions above to add another contact category
- At the bottom of the Edit Categories screen, you'll see all of your previously created custom category labels
- Tap on any to apply to the given contact
Deleting or editing an existing custom label in the app
You can easily edit or delete any of your custom labels. Note that if you make an edit to an existing custom label, any contacts tagged with that custom label will show the newly edited custom label. Similarly, if you delete an existing custom label, it will be removed from any contacts tagged with that label.
- You can manage your custom labels by navigating to your Account Preferences, by tapping on the Account icon on the navigation tab (gear icon, far right)
- Find Contact Labels under the Account heading and tap on it
- You'll see a list of all of the custom labels you've created, in alphabetical order. You can manage your labels by selecting one to modify or delete by tapping on it.
- To edit the existing label, tap on the text field to modify the text for the name of the label. Tap Save to save your changes.
- To delete the existing label, tap the Delete button. You'll see a confirmation screen before the label is deleted forever!
- If you've landed on any of these screens by mistake, simply choose the Cancel button
Deleting or editing an existing custom label on the Desktop Portal
You can also easily manage your custom contact labels on our Desktop Portal.
- Navigate your desktop web browser to my.ami.co and login with your account email and password
- Once you've logged in, find the Contacts tab on the side navigation and click it
- An option to Manage Labels will appear
- Clicking Manage Labels will show an alphabetical list of all custom contact labels you've created
- If you would like to edit an existing label, click on the Edit text link.
- Make any changes to the existing label and select the Save button. You can also Delete the label from this screen - don't worry, you'll see a confirmation before the label is permanently deleted!
- You can also easily delete labels from the Manage Labels screen by selecting the red trashcan icon
Some helpful ideas for custom labels to create:
- contacts who attended a specific party or event
- members of a group
- contacts who are VIPs
- contacts who are local
- contacts who have a preferred messaging method
- and many, many more!
Now that you've categorized your contacts, you can filter them easily! Learn more about how to filter your contacts here.